Wednesday, 28 September 2011

High Tea, In Photos

It was a chilly, rainy day last Saturday and my mom was in town helping me with my first batch of canning. It was late afternoon once all the jars were filled and the lids had popped, so we headed over to Dartmouth for High Tea at Ma Belle's Cafe.  Interesting mix of French and English, non?

Being so close to Two if by Sea, I couldn't resist popping in there, too, for one of their signature croissants to go. I would have photographed it had it actually survived the car ride home. Provolone and prosciutto? You can't hang on to something that delicious.

An indulgent afternoon!

A sandwich board caught in the downpour.









NOTE: It's been brought to my attention over Twitter that this isn't actually what was traditionally called 'high tea' in Britain, but more so 'afternoon tea.' The high tea time at Ma Belle's is scheduled from 3-5pm, which according to this article is quite common in modern-day tearooms. Traditionally, high tea involved more dinner fare, however, whereas afternoon tea served scones, sandwiches, and sweets, much like my experience at Ma Belle's.  Either way, I'm happy to have learned something new about British food and tea culture. You can read more about tea culture and the differences between tea times here or here.

9 comments:

  1. I've never had a full tea service and this made me write it down on my bucket list! Looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the most delightful tea room's I've visited. The atmosphere was laid back, comfortable and the staff were friendly, attentive and accommodating. I can't wait to visit Ma Belle's again and try their lunch menu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...how do you get your photos to be so great? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You KNOW the way to my heart, a WONDERFUL post and beautiful photos.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely and delicious way to spend an afternoon out of the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this blog entry! Thanks for sharing. Any idea where/if I can get a real afternoon tea with scones and sandwiches in New York as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely way to celebrate the completion of a canning project with your mom! Sweets in the afternoon would be my preference with a cup of tea in a delightful china cup and saucer. Thanks for sharing your nostalgic adventure. It soothes and calms, in our overly busy modern lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My niece and I are heading there for High Tea this afternoon. So looking forward to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful time, Jeanne, and thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete