I really wanted to know what they tasted like, especially after learning that cream cheese was getting involved. [Heavens part. Enter heavenly choir.]
|A beautiful, bright morning for muffins.|
Jasmine of CookThatBook outed she and myself as cream cheese fanatics a couple of Mondays ago, so I know she was as happy to see this recipe as I was! I also know Anuradha keeps us company in the addicts club, and I suspect Elena does, too. Anyone else going to come forward? Hmm? We're all friends here.
In any case, I am happy to report that this muffin is the perfect balance between muffin and cupcake: Sweet, but not too sweet. A treat without feeling like you're completely over-indulging. Just perfect.
Marble Streusel Muffins
from Recipe Digest
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup chocolate chips
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
110 g cream cheese
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I didn't have any, so I used coconut oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon and flour.
- Add the butter and work it with your finger tips until the mixture is crumbly and then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 12 pan muffin tin.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Remove half a cup of the flour mixture and set aside.
- Add cocoa powder in the remaining (first) mixture.
- Beat cream cheese, 1 egg and the reserved 1/2 cup of flour.
- In a third bowl, combine the egg, water, vanilla extract and oil.
- Add it to the cocoa mixture. Gently mix until incorporated.
- Spoon the batters side by side equally in the muffin cups. (I swirled the batter around a little with a knife.)
- Sprinkle the streusel on top and bake for 20 - 25 mins.
Drop by Baker Street to check out all this week's Muffin Monday contributors!