Sunday, 27 November 2011

Panettone, Revisited

Life has been a little chaotic as of late, with a job change in the works and several events and fundraisers I've been involved in coming to a head. It's been a lot of fun, but it's been difficult to fit blogging into my new schedule! I'm hoping that'll change very soon, once I settle into the swing of things and find the time and space to make it all work.

Something I've been meaning to share with you for a few weeks now is the play-by-play and the aftermath of my day spent making Panettone. It was quite an event, after all, so I absolutely feel that it deserves two posts!

What do I mean by aftermath? Well, it's not so much that the recipe had a large yield, but Panettone is so dense and filling that a little goes a long way, especially in a household of two. And what else do you do with an abundance of left-over bread before it goes bad? Thanks to our friend Ron who initially gave me the idea, I found a great recipe for Panettone Bread Pudding on Food Network Canada.


From The International Collection, by the Canadian Living Test Kitchen.


The Panettone Play-By-Play

8:30 AM: Early-morning  preparations.

8:50 AM - Soaking the yeast for the sponge.
 


6:10 PM - Baked and coming out of the oven.


8:30 PM - Cooled, photographed, and ready to eat!

Panettone Bread Pudding

Many of the recipes I found called for a huge amount of leftover panettone; some even called for using the whole loaf! After all that work, I was obviously going to indulge in a (or several) fresh piece(s). Considering I had less than half of the loaf left by the time I made the pudding, the Food Network Canada recipe really hit the spot, calling for only 2 cups of cubed Panettone. I added one medium, chopped apple to the mixture, but otherwise followed their recipe. It was the first, sweet bread pudding I'd had in ages, and it was a wonderful way to enjoy the whole loaf without a single crumb going to waste!

I'd also love to try doing this with stollen or brioche. Think it'd work?




Panettone & Apple Bread Pudding
Adapted from Food Network Canada

Ingredients
4 large eggs
1 cup 35% cream
2 cups milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups 1-inch cubed Panettone, very stale or lightly toasted
unit confectioner's sugar
1 medium apple, cored, peeled, and cubed

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
Combine the eggs, cream, milk, vanilla bean, sugar and spices in a large bowl. Put the bread cubes and apple in the buttered baking dish and pour the egg mixture over.
Let bread soak for about ½ hour. Press down on the bread with your hands, so it soaks up the liquid. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden on top. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
Alternately, make bread pudding in six 1 cup ramekins. Reduce baking time to 20 to 25 minutes.


---

Do you prefer sweet or savoury bread puddings?

10 comments:

  1. As soon as you said bread pudding, I could almost smell and taste it. Bread pudding is one of the most comfort food ever and I love it. Of course I've never made it using Panettone but I can only imagine how wonderful it was. It brought back so many memories of growing up as bread pudding found it's way to our table many Sundays as a dessert. Day old bread buttered, loads of raisins, beaten eggs poured over the bread, then milk and vanilla. Thanks for the walk down memory lane and I would love to be enjoying some right now.

    By the way, your pictures are once again, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.....YUMMMMMMMM! I as of yet have not baked my first Panettone, but I will be doing so between the 7th-11th of December. I intend on making several in various sizes. Some are intended as gifts, and a couple of others will be for the household. I also have intentions of putting together a Stolen. I do have some ideas in adding to the recipes, but I'm not giving out any of my ideas at this particular time. You'll just have watch my videos on youtube. Thanks for the layout, and all your work in presenting the recipe. I will try the bread pudding,'if', there is any Panettone leftover! Later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love panettone! Will be making some this year for my friends. This bread pudding looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's so funny because for this week's muffin recipe (bread pudding muffins) I actually thought specifically of your panettone! It would have been PERFECT for these muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous and I also have a recipe for Panettone bread pudding which we all love! Great looking texture and where did you get the fabulous patterned collar? Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aimee!
    This looks tasty! Always when I try the milk and yeast technique, it doesnt work out. We always used to dissolve yeast with sugar. I think so it was called the indirect yeast preparation.

    Delicious Panettone, I wouldnt mind a bite. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A woman after my own heart! The Pannetone bread and butter pudding (as we call it!) is a must at our annual Xmas party (that usually has upwards of 40 guests!). A few years ago, I jazzed it up even more by crumbling leftover Xmas pudding, that's how we always do it now, it's so addictive! I'll post my recipe sometime in Dec. xxx
    www.LinsFood.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made Panettone! I never tasted it. I see it in all the stores around town. It's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Aimée, I am leaving an other comment here.
    I love your blog and I am always an avid reader of your little creations. So... I am giving you the Liebster Award for your creativity and so that you keep on writing and posting great stuff! enjoy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that was such a long experiment. Last Monday I made Panettone but it wasn't a success because of some minor error in the recipe.

    Yours looks so perfect.

    ReplyDelete