Thursday, 5 January 2012

You Are Invited To Tea

A friend of mine once said that Facebook is for people who are friends but don't necessarily like each other, whereas Twitter is for people who aren't necessarily friends but should be. (Mr. Kincade, you are a wise man!) There's a little bit of truth to that, don't you think? 

This was before I ever joined Twitter, and to be honest, I had no idea what he was talking about. I always thought Twitter was even more self-indulgent than Facebook, so I really wanted nothing to do with it. Wrong I most certainly was! 

Twitter has revolutionized the way I connect with my communities - plural - both at home and around the world*. F. teases me constantly about my troop of online friends who I speak about as if I see them every day. Truth be told, I kind of do! We're a diverse lot of people who share similar passions and it builds an amazing sense of community between and among us, even if that community only exists on the internet. Many of us make a point of connecting - within those 140 characters that Twitter allows - every day. That support network has been absolutely invaluable to me, and it's often what encourages me to keep going in this blogging venture, no matter how busy life gets.

Some of those people live in my very own city, but sometimes it takes a specific event or excuse to bring that online 'friendship' into real time. I've tried my best to reach out and meet many people in real life over the past several months, and when I have, it's always been immensely rewarding (Jenny Osburn, I'm looking at you!). These are people I think I should be friends with, because we get excited and inspired about so many of the same things. Whether or not we feel the same way (ha!), remains to be seen.

So, in the face of many debates over whether or not the internet isolates us and breaks down community, I'm going to say that it has done the opposite for me. It has connected me with wonderful people who I may not have met any other way. I want to use the internet to make more meaningful connections in real life, and I want to do my part to build a strong sense of community among those who are doing creative things in and around Halifax.

How? Well, an idea came to me after bumping into (the wonderful and talented artist) Shelagh Duffett at the grocery store this week. We had the best, most refreshing conversation, and I thought how nice it would be to invite Shelagh over for tea.

So I am going to invite her, but I'm also going to invite several other people to my house for Afternoon Tea. Food Bloggers, Non-profit Heroines, Restauranteurs, Chefs, and enviable DIY Types. Because we are all passionate about the same thing: Creating. We've all had varying degrees of success with our varying levels of creativity, so I think we have a lot to offer each other. Support, fresh ideas, or, at the very least, good conversation. Some of you I've met, many of you I haven't. But if I haven't, I've been really wanting to!

Creative women of Halifax (for now - sorry, boys), you're invited to tea. I'll send out some initial, individual invites over the next couple of days, but if this is something you're interested in, please do drop me a line for more details and join us!** 


Earl Grey at Ma Belle's Cafe in Dartmouth.

* Friends in other cities and countries, please know you have an open invitation to tea - anytime - if you are ever in the area!

**Depending on numbers, I may have to put a cap on the event at some point (based on the size of my dining room) but nothing about this tea is meant to be exclusive!

11 comments:

  1. Great idea! Hope I'm on the list. :)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, and wish you luck with your event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, I LOVE tea as you may know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Aimee!!! I wish I was close to stop by for tea. It is funny, my hubby laughs at me all the time, because I talk about my twitter and FB friends like I have known them for ages. I love that the food community and beyond is so beautiful! Enjoy your tea, and making more lasting friendships! Love and Hugs my friend, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE this idea Aimee! Wish I was closer so I could join but perhaps one day :) And I feel the same way about my social media friends. Love the connectedness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An all-girls tea club? I am so in! As long as I can get there in good health and I will be the one bringing the decaf orange pekoe tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think one of the reasons people are drawn to the internet is because they really do NEED other people, and in a way you can find everyone EVER online!
    I think your idea to bring things out of cyberspace and into the real world is something that should be more common, people often MEET online but get too scared to hang out anywhere else(axe murderers and all that). It would be lovely to bring the process full circle though and an all girl tea party sounds like the perfect way to do it. If I was anywhere near Canada I would totally be game:)

    P.S. I just nominated your blog for the Liebster Award, check it out! http://www.thefullwoman.com/2012/01/amazing-leibster.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must have overlooked it, when is the tea party. keep your laptop on and skype and I am in! ;)

    Twitter is the best social network. I dont like fb, never have, mostly because I have heard about so many people whos life was destroyed by having a fb profile. I totaly charish twitter. its simple, fun, easy to use and quick! =D

    I am glad to have found u ther Aimee!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it amazing the online community we've created and the friends we have made via internet! I am always amazed! Sadly I don't know any bloggers close by but love meeting up with them when I travel. Happy you to have this great Tea Party. What fun and wish I lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Aimee,

    I would love to come to the next tea for Halifax bloggers!
    Keep me 'posted'!

    Edie

    ReplyDelete